The inspiration for today’s post comes from a reader in the Ottawa, ON area.
Help! I’ve been wearing the same things since November and I’m sick of my winter clothes.
Can you suggest some updates for spring using my winter wardrobe?
Dear Heather aka SICK:
I share your pain! Speaking for all Canadian women this year – we are sick of our winter clothes. And with today’s weather i.e. Freak Late Winter Snowstorm, even more so! Try these updates for spring without sacrificing warmth.
1. Coloured tights – Use these to break up a dark coloured outfit. Joe Fresh always has colourful tights in stock, or try some in bamboo or cotton.
2. Scarf – Tie a brightly coloured scarf around your neck or shoulders for instant relief from winter.
3. Shoes or booties – If the weather still has you wearing your winter boots to work, please take them off when you get there! Swap them for suede or leather pumps in a vivid colour, sweet ballet flats or open toed booties with coloured tights (see #1).
4. Sunglasses – Add instant allure and glamour with a pair of oversized sunnies. Tortoise shell is seasonless or go Gwen Stefani bold with red frames. Pretend you’re driving the Capri coast instead of the 400 series highways.
5. Brights/pastels you already own - Shop your closet for a pastel coloured sweater or a bright silk shirt. Use it as starting point for your outfit. Echo the colour with a bag or clutch in a similar tone.
6. Spring mani – Rescue your winter hands and embrace the Brazil Collection by OPI. Toucan If YouTry, I Just Can’t Cope-acabana, and Red Hot Rio are some vibrant nail colours that will lift your spirits.
7. A coral lip – From drugstore cheap to designer priced – there are lip pencils that work like crayons in all shades of pink, orange and coral. Get colouring!
8. Blue or pink eye liner – If you like to experiment with makeup – try an eyeliner in a pastel colour. Give your makeup a lift with a new pencil in a bold hue.
9. New undies – Never forget that what’s under your clothes can affect how you feel. Splurge on a matching bra and panties in colourful lace. You can still feel “springy” under your winter woolies!
10. Plan a spa day – If you like to DIY, plan an hour at home for a facial mask, bath and foot scrub. Or visit your favourite spa for a body scrub and polish away that winter skin.
Spring (or the Vernal Equinox) arrives March 20 at 12:57 pm EDT – a mere eight days from now! Meanwhile, stay warm.
p.s. Heather receives an OPI nail polish of her choice from RealStyle for her question.
Post or send me your fashion questions!